Here is a video by 60 Minutes that explores that question.
Two items that are not discussed in this video are:
- The no tax increase under any circumstances pledge and it’s continued impact on both the Senate and House.
- President Obama had a filibuster proof Senate for at most 72 days, not two years.
Points in the video are:
- Compromise is not part of the GOP platform any longer. Speaker of the House of Representatives Republican John Boehner said, “I reject the word compromise.”
- Mitch McConnell did state that the goal of the GOP was to make President Obama a one-term president. To directly quote Mitch McConnell: “The single most important thing that we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term President.” He also reaffirmed that position in an interview in July 2011. Video of that interview can be seen in the links section of this post.
- In today’s Senate all a Senator has to do in order to filibuster or put a hold on a bill is to call in and say, “I’m going to filibuster.” It then takes 60 votes to proceed.
Here is the video:
Click here to see the transcript.
Related video’s by 60 Minutes:
- An exasperating interview with Senate Leaders
- Is the U.S. Senate Broken Article
- Is Sen. Coburn Dr. No?
- U.S. Senate’s Deep Divide
President Obama Did not control congress for two years (http://www.thepragmaticpundit.com/2011/12/obama-did-not-control-congress-for-two.html)
Boehner: I reject the word compromise (http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2010/12/13/134669/boehner-reject-compromise/)
A hypothetical clean energy agenda—if the GOP Choose cooperation rather than confrontation (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2010/11/04/206986/cooperation-or-confrontation-on-clean-energy/)
In the Midst of Debt Ceiling Standoff, McConnell Reaffirms that Defeating Obama is GOP’s Single Most Important Goal (http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/07/10/264799/mcconnell-admits-defeating-obama-is-gops-%E2%80%98single-most-important%E2%80%99-goal/)
Interview with Mitch McConnell http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FirI3_G_0JM
An exasperating interview with Senate Leaders: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_162-57544857-10391709/an-exasperating-interview-with-senate-leaders/?tag=segementExtraScroller;housing
Is the U.S. Senate Broken Article: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57544861/is-the-u.s-senate-broken/?tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel
Is Sen. Coburn Dr. No?: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50134484n&tag=segementExtraScroller;housing
U.S. Senate’s Deep Divide: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50134483n&tag=segementExtraScroller;housing