“Listen, what is this difference where the money comes from? We put $800 billion worth of revenue, which is what he is asking for, out of eliminating the top two tax rates. But, here’s the problem, Chris, when you go and increase tax rates, you make it more difficult for our economy to grow, after that income, the small business income, it is going to get taxed at a higher rate and as a result we’re gonna see slower economic growth, we can’t cut our way out of this problem, nor can we grow our way out of the problem, we have to have a balanced approach and what the President wants to do will slow or economy at a time when he says he wants the economy to grow and create jobs.”
In a nut shell the plan that Boehner proposed and discussed during the interview, and the quote above, is the same Romney/Ryan tax plan that voters rejected. It is the same Ryan budget iithat the House of Representatives passed on moreiii than one occasion. They are using the same fuzzy math that does not add upiv.
- The House passed budget resolution for Medicare reform.
- The House passed budget resolution reforms for Medicaid reform
- The House passed budget resolutions in regards to ObamaCare, mandatory spending, Federal employee compensation and SNAP (Food Stamps) program
- The Bowles plan would not use higher taxes in order to generate $800 billion in new revenue. New revenue would only come from closing tax deductions and loopholes. That $900 billion in new revenue would be generated in mandatory spending cuts, and an additional $300 billion in cuts to discretionary spending. He notes that these are the same ones outlined in the Budget Control Act.vi
- He encourages the President to respond in a timely fashion and “…refrain from any further action that would undermine good-faith efforts to reach a reasonable and equitable agreement in this critical matter.”
The White House responded to the letter from Speaker Boehner with the following statement:
“The Republican letter released today does not meet the test of balance. In fact, it actually promises to lower rates for the wealthy and sticks the middle class with the bill. Their plan includes nothing new and provides no details on which deductions they would eliminate, which loopholes they will close or which Medicare savings they would achieve. Independent analysts who have looked at plans like this one have concluded that middle class taxes will have to go up to pay for lower rates for millionaires and billionaires.”
Here is an informative video by Robert Reich:
In contrastviii President Obama has submitted a detailed plan for tackling the debt. To which House Speaker Boehner admitted that he “burst out laughing” when he saw the outline of the plan. The plan calls for $1.6 trillion in additional revenue and cuts billions from Medicare, Medicaid and other programs over the next ten years. In regards to Medicare the $360 billion in additional cuts comes from additional reductions in provider reimbursements, income related premiums, increase in part B deductible, drug rebates, elimination of waste, etc.
60 Minutesx did a story on December 2,2012 about how a hospital chain encouraged admitting 50% of patients over 65 and modified their computer program to order medical tests before ever being seen by a doctor. The hospital chain in the video claims they did nothing wrong and were looking out for the best interests of the patients. The video is worth the 15 mins 43 seconds to watch.
On the We The People Petitionxi website there are a few petitions that express the frustration level the American people have with what is going on. The petitions are calling on the Republican party to stop grandstanding and to realize that it does matter where the money to fix the debt comes from. The middle class cannot be expected to shoulder the debt and be pushed farther into poverty, while corporationsxii make record profits and the top 2% get richer. Trickle-down economics doesn’t work and no matter how you repackage the proposal it doesn’t make it a new proposal. The American people deserve politicians devoted to serving the needs of everyone and not just the few.
Below are just a few of the petitions listed* (titles are in italics):
- Ceasexiii paychecks and health benefits to all members of Congress and the President until the fiscal cliff is avoided. It goes on to suggest cutting their pay by 15% if they do not reach an agreement by Jan 1st.
- Compromisexiv with Congress to create a bipartisan solution to the fiscal cliff so young Americans can have bright futures. This petition asks for both Republicans and Democrats to rise above partisan politics and work with the White House on a new future policy regarding the budget.
- Securexv resources and funding, and begin construction of a Death Star by 2016. This one states that by creating a death star employment will rise and it will strengthen our national defense.
- Tellxvi John Boehner he and the Republicans in Congress need to yield to the will of the American People This petition outlines that the majority spoke on Nov. 6th and that “we’d like Congressional Republicans to behave accordingly.”
- Renewxvii the tax cuts for 98% of all taxpayers now. This one calls for extension of the tax cuts for the middle class to be passed by the House immediately.
- Followxviii threw with the Clinton Tax Cuts, Raise Taxes on the top 2%, and Lower taxes on the 98%.
- Supportxix a resolution of expulsion of Mitch McConnell from the Senate for his disloyalty to the United States. This petition cites Article 1 Section 5 Clause 2 of the Constitution as authorizing the ability to remove a disloyal member of Congress.
- Legallyxx recognize the tea party as a hate group and remove them from office for treason against the United States. This petition calls for them to be removed from office and charged with treason against the United States of America.
- Investigatexxi violation of federal criminal law and sedition conspiracy c18usc 2384.Seditious conspiracy. This petition lists out those Republican Representatives that have pledge to block and obstruct President Obama on any and all legislation. It goes on to state that some of those listed have confirmed their position; as well as list the oaths that were violated as a result of this position.
- Demandxxii Congress members sign a pledge to represent the best interests of Americans overriding the Norquist tax Pledge. This pledge calls for a public pledge stating that the representatives will represent the best interests of the American people and not the interests of any other person or group.
- To Impeachxxiii all politicians who signed the Norquist oath in violation of their oath to the government of the USA. This petition calls for the impeachment of every politician that signed the Norquist oath. Where the petition does reference a video about “how the pledge to Norquist contradicts the pledges made to the United States” and interferes with the ability to “carry out” their “responsibility to the Constitution and Government of the USA.
*Listing of a petition is not an endorsement of that petition. All titles are written as they are found on We the People, all punctuation, spelling, grammar errors are the property of the author.
Article Updates Log:
- 12/4/2012 at 11:58 AM to correct an error, it was listed as $300 billion not trillion as previously posted.
- 12/6/2012 at 7 PM to include an additional petition that is on We The People.
iBoehner: No Difference If Revenue Comes from Middle Class or Super Rich (http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/12/02/1268801/boehner-no-difference-if-revenue-comes-from-middle-class-or-super-rich/)
iiThe New Budget (https://roseylinn.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/the-new-budget/)
iiiThe Budget Update (https://roseylinn.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/the-budget-update/)
ivMake Mitt Romney’s Tax Plan Add Up (https://roseylinn.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/make-mitt-romneys-tax-plan-add-up/)
viBudget Control Act (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s365enr/pdf/BILLS-112s365enr.pdf)
viiRepublicans Revert to Pre-Election Tax Plan: Promise to Raise Revenue by Magic (http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/12/03/1275261/republicans-revert-to-pre-election-tax-plan-promise-to-raise-revenue-by-magic/)
viiiThe Details of Obama;s Entitlement Cuts in One Chart (http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/11/30/1263231/the-details-of-obamas-entitlement-cuts-in-one-chart/)
ixThe Budget Documents (http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2013/assets/budget.pdf)
xiiCorporate Profits Hit Record High While Worker Wages Hit Record Low (http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/12/03/1270541/corporate-profits-wages-record/)
xiiiCease paychecks and health benefits to all members of Congress and the President until the fiscal cliff is avoided.(https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/cease-paychecks-and-health-benefits-all-members-congress-and-president-until-fiscal-cliff-avoided/s3djhn29)
xivCompromise with Congress to create a bipartisan solution to the fiscal cliff so young Americans can have bright futures (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/compromise-congress-create-bipartisan-solution-fiscal-cliff-so-young-americans-can-have-bright/1PHhRgCk)
xvSecure resources and funding, and begin construction of a Death Star by 2016 (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/secure-resources-and-funding-and-begin-construction-death-star-2016/wlfKzFkN)
xviTell John Boehner he and the Republicans in Congress need to yield to the will of the American People (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/tell-john-boehner-he-and-republicans-congress-need-yield-will-american-people/gc6Ppmyf)
xviiRenew the tax cuts for 98% of all taxpayers now (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/renew-tax-cuts-98-all-taxpayers-now/zJqW2dQj)
xviiiFollow threw with the Clinton Tax Cuts, Raise Taxes on the top 2%, and Lower taxes on the 98%. (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/follow-threw-clinton-tax-cuts-raise-taxs-top-2-and-lower-taxs-98/FYkyjY0g)
xixSupport a resolution of expulsion of Mitch McConnell from the Senate for his disloyalty to the United States. (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/support-resolution-expulsion-mitch-mcconnell-senate-his-disloyalty-united-states/wYF46Tql)
xxLegally recognize the tea party as a hate group and remove them from office for treason against the United States. (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/legally-recognize-tea-party-hate-group-and-remove-them-office-treason-against-united-states/9jJv4sT0)
xxiInvestigate violation of federal criminal law and sedition conspiracy c18usc 2384.Seditious conspiracy. (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/investigate-violation-federal-criminal-law-and-sedition-conspiracy-c18usc-2384seditious-conspiracy/7bCs1c51)
xxiiDemand Congress members sign a pledge to represent the best interests of Americans overriding the Norquist tax Pledge (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/demand-congress-members-sign-pledge-represent-best-interests-americans-overriding-norquist-tax/kZN6FX6C)
xxiiiTo Impeach all politicians who signed the Norquist oath in violation of their oath to the government of the USA. (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/impeach-all-politicians-who-signed-norquist-oath-violation-their-oath-government-usa/vQf9P7yh)