- miserable: allowing no hope of improvement or relief;
- utterly hopeless, miserable, humiliating, or wretched: sunk to or existing in a low state or condition
- shamelessly servile; slavish; cast down in spirit: servile, spiritless; showing hopelessness or resignation
- Obsolete . cast aside.
- expressing or offered in a humble and often ingratiating spirit; very humble : feeling or showing shame; very weak : lacking courage or strength
- despicable: utterly despicable or contemptible
Origin: 1400–50; late Middle English