Tomorrow the Seattle Seahawks will face the Denver Bronco’s in the Superbowl. I used to live in suburbs of both cities and remember seeing them play. I will be cheering for Seattle tomorrow as I lived longer in Seattle than Denver, and they are the underdogs. 🙂
In December 2013 Seahawk fans set the Guinness World Record for Loudest Crowd Noise at 137.6 decibels, and jumped up and down enough to register a 1-2 magnitude earthquake on a nearby University of Washington seismometer. For comparison:
- a jet engine at takeoff registers at 135 decibels
- a jack hammer is 125 decibels
- laughter registers at 60-65 decibels
- a farm tractor is 98 decibels
So remember your ear plugs.
Superbowl parties will be in full swing tomorrow. It is the number two day for food consumption in America, Thanksgiving being number one, so please keep in mind food safety tips:
- Before and after preparing or handling food wash hands with soap and water. Provide clean serving utensils for guests to use
- Make sure all meat is cooked to the right temperature. Use food thermometers.
- Make sure to keep all hot food hot and all cold food cold. After two hours on the buffet replace the food for fresh.
- Check in with guests about any food allergies they might have.
- Use smaller serving platters. This will help keep food fresh throughout the day.
The F.D.A. also has tips on making food safe in buffets, as well as how to adapt recipes that call for raw or lightly cooked eggs.
Have a safe and great Superbowl Sunday. Go SEAHAWKS! 🙂
Food Safety (http://www.foodsafety.gov/)
Serving Up Safe Buffets (http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/BuyStoreServeSafeFood/ucm328131.htm)