This years garden I managed to get a few more things planted and harvested. I found a neat program online that allows, for free, to do some planning. It also sends out emails to prompt as to what activities should be done at what time of year. Like at this point it is time to prepare the ground for the winter. I also rotated the crops and did a lot of successive plantings in order to keep some crops growing longer.
The harvest this year was great:
- Garlic: I planted it for the first time this year and was surprised by the results. The downside is the room that it ended up taking up. According to some online sources I was supposed to be able to plant lettuce next to the garlic, however I didn’t find that to work out too well.
- Broccoli: Came out good, but next year I will move it to a new location. Am hoping for a fall crop.
- Carrots: They did great in the new location I planted them in.
- Lettuce: Ended up with lettuce from May to the middle of August. Not sure about a fall crop.
- Zucchini and Yellow Squash: Did incredibly well.
- Cucumber: Grew incredibly well this year.
- Tomatoes: Had an abundance of these including some volunteer cherry tomatoes.
- Raspberries: Did good, however the birds also found them so there was a bit of increased competition.
One interesting thing that I noticed was that this year I had a cucumber grow through the fence. It was in about the same spot as the tomato grew through the fence last year.
Two items that I had tossed in to see what would happen were cantaloupe and watermelon. They didn’t turn out very well. I am determined to try again.