It seems that when a tiny thing goes wrong with a major appliance the repair bill is huge. For example, the control panel on my three-year-old dishwasher decided one day to quit. Right after the warranty expired. I searched online for causes, solutions, and repair estimates. It turned out that that specific brand had an issue with the control panel stopping at the two to three-year range. My appliance repair shop told me that in fact there are two parts to that control panel and the issue could be in either one of them or both. Each part having its own price tag; plus the cost of installation, ended up with the potential total price tag for fixing what could be wrong; well, huge. Since that machine hadn’t ever cleaned dishes well, I had to clean them before putting them into the dishwasher, I started a search for a new machine.
I searched review sites, manufacturing sites, and retail outlet sites. Then a family member suggested I research Bosch. Consumer Reports lists Bosch as one of the “more reliable brands of dishwashers…” They also gave a similar make and model to the one I was looking at a good rating*. My entire search finally led me to the Bosch Ascenta 50 Decibel Built-in Dishwasher model number SHE3ARF6UC from Lowes. When I purchased it the final price** came out to be lower than the potential repair bill for my last one.
As this model is specific to Lowes; I called with a list of questions that they answered. They also didn’t try to upsell me on the next model. The dishwasher arrived when they said it would. When the directions are followed a technician isn’t required for installation, which was a plus in my book.
The Bosch Ascenta 50 Decibel is quiet, works, and above all has surprised me with how clean it gets some items. The best part is that I no longer have to pre-wash my dishes. I take off the big debris and will wipe out things like melted cheese or rice before sticking the pan into the machine. I have noticed that it is important to get the dirtiest items pointed at the jets. For settings I typically use just the Auto detect. Occasionally, for really stuck on pans I use the Heavy Wash.
- I can move the upper rack up or down to make room for larger items. It can also be removed completely.
- The control panel is simple. There are enough options for getting the job done. However, they didn’t allow for a person to turn off the drying function.
- The clock that counts down the cycle is also helpful. From a distance, it is the only way I know if the machine is on.
- The silverware basket can be separated into two baskets or kept as one long one.
- Some of the tines can be folded down. Although how they have the tines can cause a headache in trying to figure out how to load the dishwasher. It takes learning; even after following the pictures in the instruction manual.
- The bottom rack can be pulled out completely easily. They didn’t put any sort of stopper on the bottom rack to prevent it from easily coming all the way out.
- It has a fold-down rack on the top rack that fits over short glasses. I put a tiny plastic spoon on it as a test. The spoon flipped directions yet stayed on the rack in almost the same spot.
- They have a filter in the bottom of the unit to catch any big debris. It has to be manually cleaned every now and then. It is really simple to do. Just reach in, turn and pull out the catcher. Check for debris. Put it back into the unit and turn until it locks back into place.
I highly recommend a Bosch Ascenta dishwasher for anyone in the market for one. The Bosch Ascenta 50 Decibel Built-in Dishwasher model number SHE3ARF6UC from Lowes works great.
Disclaimer: This review was provided by me and only me. I do not work for Lowes or Bosch. I was not compensated for my review. User experiences will vary.
*When I did my research the ratings for the dishwasher were still visible, now Consumer Reports requires a subscription to see them. At the time I did my research they had a high rating; I do not know what it is now.
** When it comes to Lowes Rebates I found that it is important to check their actual rebate page for all rebates that might apply to an item. The link can be found here: https://www.lowes.com/cd_Current+Rebates_270914541_